A Greener Stadium
AEG has set several goals that will steer AEG properties in a sustainable direction over the next decade and beyond.
Energy & Climate
Energy & Climate
By investing in renewable energy systems and Renewable Energy Certificates, implementing energy efficiency measures such as retro-commissioning, and utilizing sustainable design for new construction projects, we can dramatically decrease our energy usage and its impact on the environment.
- 20% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions (CO2 intensity)
- 15% of all electricity usage derived from renewable energy sources
Recycling & Waste
Recycling & Waste
AEG will divert waste from going to the landfill through increasing recycling efforts, donating durable goods, and implementing food composting program along with the use of biodegradable concessions packaging, and conducting periodic waste audits.
- 25% of all solid waste diverted from landfill
- 75% solid waste diversion rate at 10 designated venues and events
AEG is taking steps to conserve water by installing the best available technology for water fixtures and equipment, and educating our employees on water efficiency through our Environmental Management System.
- 20% reduction in water use
AEG wants to ensure that the health and environmental impacts of products are taken into consideration and weighed appropriately against cost. We have identified environmental standards for many products but focus specifically on high impact products that affect our use of energy, water, chemicals and generation of waste. We also encourage concessionaires to use sustainable cuisine and biodegradable disposables. Sustainability criteria appear in many of our supplier contracts.
- 50% of total dollars spent on all HVAC, lighting, paper and janitorial supplies to be environmentally preferable
We want all of our employees to have the tools to work sustainably. We introduce sustainability as a business focus to our employees, contractors, and vendors through our Environmental Management System. We also install educational signage at public events, venues, and offices, and encourage alternative transportation.
- 100% of AEG facilities and venues include environmental messaging and information available to staff, partners and guests
We believe our operations and responsible decision-making can improve the environment, our communities, and our businesses. We operate environmentally friendly stadiums and arenas all over the world, and are especially proud of the work we have done to ensure the L.A. LIVE complex and Home Depot Center contribute to sustainability in Southern California.
Farmers Field: The most environmentally friendly stadium in the United States
AEG is in the early planning stages of our environmental program for Farmers Field. We expect specific elements of the environmental program to continue to evolve as we receive results of the EIR impact analysis, but we have already identified the following environmental commitments and high level objectives that will make Farmers Field the most environmentally friendly stadium in the country:
- Design the building to achieve LEED Certification for New Construction (which would make Farmers Field the first ever NFL stadium and one of only 4 professional sports facilities to be LEED recognized)
- Design Farmers Field to be carbon neutral, making it one of the only carbon neutral stadiums in the country
- Implement a transportation plan that will give Farmers Field the lowest "cars per football game ticket holder" ratio of any NFL stadium.
AEG is conducting a comprehensive Environmental Impact Report (EIR) as required by the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA). EIR preparation commenced in November 2010 and is estimated to last over 18 months from start to finish using the most current methodologies for analysis of potential impacts. We are committed to integrating findings from the EIR process and working with environmental partners to further define the environmental program for Farmers Field. Other steps AEG will take to ensure Farmers Field is environmentally friendly and sustainable include:
- Apply the principles of the AEG 1EARTH Environmental Policy
- Measure the environmental performance during construction and operation through the AEG Ecometrics tracking system which collects data on consumption of resources and waste generated
- Implement an Environmental Management System (EMS) for day-to-day operations of Farmers Field
Our record to date:
- STAPLES Center was the first United States Sports and Entertainment Arena to achieve an ISO 14001 certified Environmental Management System
- Solar panels were installed on STAPLES Center and Nokia Theatre L.A. Live. These panels form a 512- kW solar array that can generate up to 5 percent of the facilities energy usage per year
- All Southern California venues were retrofitted with 496 waterless urinals, saving over two million gallons of water per year
- Used nearly 85 percent reclaimed water at Home Depot Center
- Purchased a combined 13,652,040 kWh of renewable energy in 2009 through Renewable Energy Certificates, the CO2 equivalent to planting over an acre of forest
- The JW Marriot Hotel L.A. LIVE and The Ritz-Carlton Hotel and Residences achieved a Leadership Energy Environmental Design-New Construction (LEED-NC) Silver Certification from the United States Green Building Council